Last time I was visiting Kansas from London, I was looking for a place to fly which was not so far as to have to go overnight, but as far as I could go on a one-day cross-country flight. My friend John remembered that there was a great little airport on the border of Arkansas and Missouri with a funny name but a beautiful approach to landing. What is it? I asked. Don't remember, said John. I think it's called Flippin.
That settled it. It was clear from that moment on that we were going to Flippin for no other reason than that for an entire week straight when someone asked what we were doing that weekend, we would reply "We're going to Flippin"
To say that Flippin Arkansas is pretty much what you would expect would imply one has an expectation of the cultural differences between Kansas and Arkansas and Missouri. Being able to tell the difference between the two is an art similar to being able to tell the difference between Coke and Pepsi. One needs to have thoroughly tasted and loved at least one to know the other.
The Flippin airport is manned by one person only. This is a young-looking fellow wearing clothes entirely colored camouflage and clearly itching to get back to the lake to continue his fishing trip. When he asked us where we were from and we explained we flew in from Benton. He responded "Benton? All the way down south?" No, we clarified, Benton in Kansas, not the Arkansas one. This created disbelief -- "Wow." He said. Well I guess it's no wonder you guys don't look like you're from around here. That's WAYS away.
Most airports in the midwest have a loaner car that they allow visiting pilots to use during their say for exchange of the credit card. The Flippin airfield manager supplied us with this luxury under several conditions: we were not to exceed 25 miles an hour. This speed was to be approximated as the speedometer did not work. We were not to get on the highway, as he doubted the car would survive the experience, and we were not to park on an incline.
Why not an incline? I enquired.
Because there's a hole in the gas tank and if you park on a hill it will leak out. He explained.
That settled that question.
We asked what sights there were to visit around the town. He showed us the way to the local Wal-Mart and Pizza Hut and we were on our way.